About Lions Club of Singapore Mandarin
Lions Club of Singapore Mandarin(LCS Mandarin) is one of chapter of LCI.District 308-A1 Singapore,Chartered on 1st Dec 1982,Club Identification No.5232-042108. Registry of Societies UEN No.: S83SS0047B.The Lions Clubs in Singapore will continue to grow in number, and individually stronger, with diversity in race, religion, language and culture while consolidating and defending our Movement’s credible image of being an International Association and one of the leading partners in actively preserving our civil society.
Growth of Multiple District (MD) 308
In 1957, Noshir Pundole, who was then deeply involved in the Lions movement in India and subsequently became an International Director, paid an exploratory visit to Singapore. This led to the birth, on 5 November 1958, of the Lions Club of Singapore, later renamed Lions Club of Singapore (Host).
Within 3 months, the first club was chartered in Malaysia, the Lions Club of Kuala Lumpur (Host), in 1959. Thereafter, expansion was rapid, reaching Sabah and Sarawak in 1966. In 1970, the Lions Club of Brunei was formed. Given the number 308, the district spanned three countries, namely Brunei, Malaysia and Singapore.
By June 1981, District 308 had a total of 2,500 members in 73 Lions Clubs, and 600 members in 24 Lioness Clubs, with another 70 Leo Clubs. In 1983, Multiple District 308 was formed, with South Johore, East Malaysia, Singapore and Brunei making up sub-District 308 A, and West Malaysia (excluding South Johore) sub-District 308 B.
For the next 15 years the movement continued to grow. In 1998, the two sub-districts were further subdivided into four. Thus, Singapore became District 308 A1 of Multiple District 308.
District 308-A1 (Singapore)
In Singapore, each Lions Club is an independent registered society; each also receiving its Charter from Lions Clubs International. The Lions Clubs Constitution and Bye-Laws incorporates both the provisions of Lions Clubs International and those stipulated by the Registrar of Societies. The clubs are responsible to the latter as a society and to Lions Clubs International for observance and fulfillment of the aims and guiding principles of the international association.
District 308 A1 (UEN #T03SS0096L) is also registered with the Registrar of Societies.
Lions Clubs International (LCI)
The Lions Clubs International (LCI) began as the dream of Chicago businessman Melvin Jones. He believed that local business clubs should expand their horizons from purely professional concerns to the betterment of their communities and the world at large.
An organizational meeting was held on June 7, 1917 in Chicago, Illinois, USA. The new group took the name “Association of Lions Clubs” A national convention was held in Dallas, Texas, USA in October of that year. A constitution, by-laws, objects and code of ethics were approved.
The association became international when the first club in Canada was established in 1920. Major international expansion continued as clubs were established throughout Europe, Asia and Africa during the 1950s and ’60s. Lions Clubs International has since grown to include nearly 1.35 million men and women in approximately 45,000 clubs located in 197 countries and geographic areas. Lions clubs are grouped into Districts, about 750 world-wide. Each district is headed by a District Governor, annually elected by the clubs. As districts grow, they are formed into Multiple Districts, which comprise two or more districts within the designated territory, also known as Sub-districts.
LCS Mandarin Logo